Skip to main content

Decision to Serve

My decision wasn't made easily.

I didn't have one of those "AH-HA" moments.

Serving a mission actually wasn't always something I wanted to origionally do.

Speaking totally honestly, I was pretty sure I would get married before I would ever even consider leaving on a mission. When the mission age changed I felt like it was something I could consider in my long list of options, but it was number 10 on a list of 10 things to do after high school.

I had felt the greatest spiritual prompting to this date when President Monson announced the age change, so I thought a little more about it but then it resumed it's faithful spot on my list of things to do if all else failed.

The decision kinda came more like an idea.

Like a slow growing desire. An, oh yeah so most of my friends are leaving on a mission, and I think that's something I may want to look more into. It slowly became an idea that seemed like something I really wanted to do.

I went to mission prep when I was sixteen (forced at first, then willingly) where I would always feel good about knocking on doors, teaching people, and coming closer to Christ. I studied Preach My Gospel, I even watched mission call opening videos just for the fun of it.

I had wished everyone had this beautiful gospel, and I felt so abundantly blessed because of it. But, I still felt no major prodding to go. Until I walked out of the hospital after one of my far too many visits there with a feeling of devastation, one that I had come to know oh so well.

It was the same devastation I felt when I failed a test, when I was told that my senior year wouldn't be as normal as I thought, it was that devastation I felt when they are out of my favorite flavor of ice cream. Ya know, that feeling that is totally unexpected and hurts your heart more than you anticipated.  

This devastating feeling was felt when I realized I might not have the opportunity to a mission anymore. Even though I didn't think I wanted to go, I felt crushed by the thought of not going. Peculiar, hu? I thought so. 

I realized in that moment I wanted to do everything in my small sphere of power to make sure other people didn't feel this same pain. I wanted to make sure everyone would have the opportunity to have this beautiful gospel, and that they could turn to it when everything was going wrong in their life.

So I did what I knew was right. I kept going to mission prep, kept up scripture study, went to the temple, and decided I would figure it out after a semester or two of college. After a long year of waiting, I was officially cleared to serve this last fall! So I prayed and I never did receive an overwhelming prompting to go. To be honest, my junior year I decided that I would move forward in faith in everything. This included my unanswered plea to know if I should serve a mission, so I decided to step forward with faith and do what I knew would FOR SURE bring me happiness.

Now here is where it gets tricky, I submitted my papers before I started college. (I honestly did this so that I could get my call, not get attached to anyone, and be able to leave if I was called and still have a buffer because I couldn't leave till the semester ended even though I wanted to just get out and leave to I couldn't second guess my decision). Plus 120 days seemed super close and exciting!

If you know me personally, then you know decision making is not my strong suit, at all. It could easily take me an hour to decide on a candy in the candy isle of the gas station. True story. So I didn't want to second guess myself, but guess what, I did. I did a lot, we're talking like at least once every. single. day.

After I got my call it sadly didn't get any easier, it actually got far harder than I could have ever anticipated. There was a sweet boy who made me feel a little like staying may be better, there was health problems that arose, there was family issues, and funerals and lots of hard things. But, I stayed firm with my decision.

I pulled a, ya know, "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." type of strength and kept going. Last night I laid in my bedroom that I share with Kaley at my parents house and I cried. HARD. I cried because those feelings I know a little too well flooded back and the whole mission thing came back into question.

But of course, I get set apart in a little less than 7 hours and I firmly know that this is what I want to do, even if I am still feeling a little bit unsure of the whole thing. I want to go because I love my Savior so much. I love this gospel, and "if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work." So in case you don't know what you want to do after college either, pray. Pray lots about serving a mission because I am positive you will know what to do. I hope you have the courage to accept whatever answer you receive to your earnest plea, and then I truly hope you remember not to doubt that your Heavenly Father loves you and wants what is best for you. 

See you in a short 18 months,
(Hermana) Kristyn Rhoton


Comments

  1. Hi,
    May I ask you for a favor? As my blog has little traffic at present, I am trying to increase it, because I use it to sell my company’s products. More visits will increase my blog’s “Google Images” ranking and visibility. I am asking you to visit my blog occasionally, even though it may not be of particular interest to you. Cordial thanks.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thank you for providing us such useful information. i also had research on
    wordpress
    ufa88kh.blogspot
    youtube
    Slots

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Cost of Infertility (part 1)

Infertility is a whole lot of things: heartbreaking, hopeful, exhausting, and also expensive.  The obvious cost of infertility is the first one I'm going to talk about on here because its often the one people know a little bit about- the actual financial cost you pay to actually receive infertility treatments. When we started on medications I was actually still seeing an OBGYN. It had been a year of TTC with no luck, so we went to the doctors and started on a treatment plan.  The medications were timed around my cycle and horribly enough, they made me feel like I was pregnant even when I wasn't. They made me nauseous (so there was another med to counteract that) and some made my headaches turn to migraines for 4-5 days straight. (but more on the physical tolls of infertility later...). Luckily, during this phase of our journey, we were only paying about $300 a month for medications and appointment co-pays. We saw that OBGYN doc for nine months before setting up an appointment w

real talk.

I've been living in Provo now for a few weeks, and everything is actually lovely. I like my cute little apartment that I get to call home. I love my roommates. I like my YSA ward. I've been on a few fun dates, I have a kid sitting next to me in my Eng 2040 class who has the prettiest blue eyes I have ever seen. (Like I can't talk to him without completely staring because they are beautiful). I've been able to go zip lining with my stake, swimming with my building, and Disney movie watching after ward prayer on Sundays. Life is really happy, which is something it hasn't been in quite a while for me. But a little too often it hits me. It hits me that a year from now everything will be different. It hits me that my little sister isn't sleeping in the room next to me, it hits me that my brother is probably building something and I don't even know about it. It hits me that at any second my mom could call from the hospital, and it hits me that every time I go ho

Senior Advice {27 helpful hints}

To the cute sophomores who will soon be walking down the halls, and the juniors who think they have it all figured out, here are a few handy dandy little things I've learned- 1. Be kind - be kind to your friends, family, teachers, the people who only talk to you sometimes, strangers, and everyone you come across. I promise it will make the biggest difference in your life 2. Smile - smile through the good days, the bad days, the silly days, and all the days in between. Everyone needs a smile, and smiles are contagious :) 3. If you don't know someone who is sitting at your lunch table, meet them. You instantly gain a friend, or at least a familiar face in the hallways 4. If you are stuck in the commons and the bell for lunch rang over 5 minutes ago, simply wait until the last ten minutes of lunch to grab your food or you will be waiting FOREVER . (Or take a friend to wait with you, or make a friend in the lunch line. Either way) 5. Turn in things on time. A 1