Skip to main content

practically a pessimist post

Originally this was going to be a pessimism post, because I really didn't see a point in trying to be optimistic. I've seen quite a bit of negative lately so I figured I would simply follow the trend. However, when I began to write about something super negative, I recognized an blessing in disguise. 

Ew. A blessing?! 

Yup, a blessing.

Let me tell ya, when you want to find the negative, it is really frustrating when you can see a silver lining in everything. I think this last week has been the only time the gift of finding the good has actually seemed like a bad gift to me. (remember the scripture Isaiah 5:20, ya, this was applied directly to my life)

Say what you want, but satan is smart.

I mean, he was rather stupid when he wanted his own plan (that's a totally different story. But still) But he has so many clever ways to get us to follow him. I am sure he knew that this was one of the hardest weeks for me, and I am positive he knew that getting me to be negative would not only influence me but so many others. Thank goodness for neat prophets, friends, and kind people I see everyday who kept me going. 

Recently I've found myself in tears. A lot. (If you know me, then you know I hate crying- long story)  and I found myself relying on other peoples testimonies while mine was weak. I found myself thinking about the sweet sophomore whom I've grown to love this school year, and the positive example she is to me. I found myself remembering what one of my friends had told me about prayer last year. I found myself constantly seeing the good, and I am so so so grateful for it. 

This week I may have been without a best friend, I may not have gotten the answer to my prayer, I may have somehow been behind in every single class, I may not have been able to swing like I really wanted to (s/o leg that isn't healing properly), or even rock the interview I worked so hard for but I found something greater; I found the silver linings.

This week I recognized that I have a gift, the gift of finding the positive. This week made me realize that I am so much stronger than I thought. This ridiculously hard week taught me that my Heavenly Father knows what He is doing. This week I was able to learn that everyone has limitations, and you don't have to pretend to be okay in front of other people. This week I learned that the sun really does shine through the darkness, even if it is only a little tiny ray of sunshine. And oh how happy I am for that little ray of sunshine. So yes, this is the end of my pessimist post because it turns out I'm not very good at them, so I think I'll go back to permanently trying to find the happy things. After all, "the essence of the gospel is optimism."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cost of Infertility (part 1)

Infertility is a whole lot of things: heartbreaking, hopeful, exhausting, and also expensive.  The obvious cost of infertility is the first one I'm going to talk about on here because its often the one people know a little bit about- the actual financial cost you pay to actually receive infertility treatments. When we started on medications I was actually still seeing an OBGYN. It had been a year of TTC with no luck, so we went to the doctors and started on a treatment plan.  The medications were timed around my cycle and horribly enough, they made me feel like I was pregnant even when I wasn't. They made me nauseous (so there was another med to counteract that) and some made my headaches turn to migraines for 4-5 days straight. (but more on the physical tolls of infertility later...). Luckily, during this phase of our journey, we were only paying about $300 a month for medications and appointment co-pays. We saw that OBGYN doc for nine months before setting up an appointment w

real talk.

I've been living in Provo now for a few weeks, and everything is actually lovely. I like my cute little apartment that I get to call home. I love my roommates. I like my YSA ward. I've been on a few fun dates, I have a kid sitting next to me in my Eng 2040 class who has the prettiest blue eyes I have ever seen. (Like I can't talk to him without completely staring because they are beautiful). I've been able to go zip lining with my stake, swimming with my building, and Disney movie watching after ward prayer on Sundays. Life is really happy, which is something it hasn't been in quite a while for me. But a little too often it hits me. It hits me that a year from now everything will be different. It hits me that my little sister isn't sleeping in the room next to me, it hits me that my brother is probably building something and I don't even know about it. It hits me that at any second my mom could call from the hospital, and it hits me that every time I go ho

Senior Advice {27 helpful hints}

To the cute sophomores who will soon be walking down the halls, and the juniors who think they have it all figured out, here are a few handy dandy little things I've learned- 1. Be kind - be kind to your friends, family, teachers, the people who only talk to you sometimes, strangers, and everyone you come across. I promise it will make the biggest difference in your life 2. Smile - smile through the good days, the bad days, the silly days, and all the days in between. Everyone needs a smile, and smiles are contagious :) 3. If you don't know someone who is sitting at your lunch table, meet them. You instantly gain a friend, or at least a familiar face in the hallways 4. If you are stuck in the commons and the bell for lunch rang over 5 minutes ago, simply wait until the last ten minutes of lunch to grab your food or you will be waiting FOREVER . (Or take a friend to wait with you, or make a friend in the lunch line. Either way) 5. Turn in things on time. A 1